- What You Should Know About Water-Based Moisturizers
- Benefits and Drawbacks to Using a Water-Based Moisturizer
- Things to Consider When Choosing a Water-Based Moisturizer
- Top 5 Best Water-Based Moisturizers on the Market
- In Conclusion:
Whether you’re old or young, male or female, you should be hydrating your skin on a daily basis. Moisturizers can prevent and reduce skin wrinkling, improve your complexion, protect your skin from harm, and improve the appearance of any cosmetic products you may apply to your face. Unfortunately, not all moisturizing products work well for all skin types. Individuals who experience breakouts or adverse skin reactions using standard moisturizers may want to try a water-based lotion or moisturizer instead.
If your oil-based lotion has been causing you troubles, consider trying one of these top-rated water-based alternatives instead.
What You Should Know About Water-Based Moisturizers
Unlike many skincare products, water-based moisturizers tend to use water as the main ingredient in their formulations. When looking for a water-based facial moisturizer, customers should look at the ingredients in each product. If oil is listed as the first ingredient, the product is not water-based.
Water-based moisturizers often include additional ingredients designed to enhance the products’ hydrating effects. Vitamins C and various antioxidants may be included, as these ingredients improve skin tone and may reduce the formation of wrinkles. Vitamin E, which further promotes skin hydration, is another frequently-used ingredient. Hyaluronic, a popular anti-aging ingredient, is included in some products due to its hydration-enhancing properties.
Customers who are looking to avoid oils altogether should be particularly cautious when selecting a moisturizer, as a water-based moisturizer may still be formulated with one or more oils. Double-check the ingredients or look for labels stating that a product is “oil-free,” as these terms are not necessarily synonymous.
Benefits and Drawbacks to Using a Water-Based Moisturizer
There are a number of benefits to choosing a water-based facial moisturizer. Most significantly, water-based products are generally non-comedogenic. Though many oil-based products are also non-comedogenic, a water-based product will be even less likely to trigger breakouts. If you struggle with sensitive or acne-prone skin, switching to a water-based lotion might be the solution to your problems.
Water-based moisturizers also tend to work well with the skin’s natural barrier. The watery consistency of these products allows them to be quickly absorbed by the skin. Whereas oil-based products tend to be heavy and sit on top of the skin, water-based lotions tend to leave the skin feeling light, clean, and refreshed.
Due to their fast absorption rates and non-greasy feel, water-based moisturizers also make for an ideal makeup base. If you struggle with easily-smudged makeup or feel as though your face becomes greasy shortly after applying your makeup, you may benefit from switching to a water-based moisturizer.
Though all moisturizers are designed to boost the hydration of the skin, some formulations work better for certain skin types. If you have dry or sensitive skin, you might think that heavy, oil-based lotions will improve the health of your skin. For many people, however, a water-based moisturizer is actually be a better choice. Due to personal skin differences, it is likely that water-based moisturizers will work better for certain individuals in each skin type category.
There are relatively few drawbacks to choosing a water-based moisturizer. If you have an adverse reaction to a particular lotion, it is likely a result of the other ingredients included in the product. If you are allergic or sensitive to certain skincare ingredients, opt for a product that is free from unnecessary fragrances, dyes, and silicones.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Water-Based Moisturizer
With so many water-based moisturizers on the market, comparing products can quickly become overwhelming. When researching products to buy, be sure to take the following factors into consideration.
The majority of water-based moisturizers are suitable for all skin types. Some brands, however, offer water-based, oil-free products specifically designed to target each skin type. If a water-based moisturizer is labeled, for instance, as a product for “sensitive skin,” consider researching whether or not another product, specifically designed for your skin type, might be available.
To see which products other customers recommend, examine the ratings and reviews left by previous purchasers. Read at least one positive and one negative review for each product. Examine these reviews to determine whether or not individuals with similar needs had success using these moisturizers.
Many of us have a preferred moisturizer consistency. Some water-based moisturizers have a watery, gel-based consistency. Others have a thicker, creamier consistency, similar to most oil-based moisturizers. If you prefer a particular type of moisturizer, pay attention to the consistency of the products you are considering.
SPF skincare products are often greasy and comedogenic. If you’re looking to protect your skin from the sun without slathering on an additional product, look into water-based moisturizers with sunscreen included.
For most individuals, the ingredients in a water-based moisturizer are of secondary importance to the product’s effectiveness. If, however, you’re looking to avoid certain irritants, you will want to check the full ingredient list before purchasing a moisturizer. Conversely, if there’s a particular ingredient you seek, you’ll also want to read labels before committing to a specific product.
Though many moisturizers come in jars or tubs, skincare products tend to remain fresher when stored in sealed containers, such as pump bottles. If you plan to use a single container for a long time, you may want to prioritize products with a sealed container design.
Though most moisturizers are fairly inexpensive, premium brands may offer products at higher prices. If you’re on a budget, try using a top-rated drugstore option before opting for a more expensive product.
Top 5 Best Water-Based Moisturizers on the Market
We’ve done extensive research to discover the very best water-based moisturizers available today. For lightweight hydration, choose one of the following water-based skincare products.
Neutrogena’s Oil-Free Moisture line has long been known for its effectiveness. This moisturizer, specifically designed to target sensitive skin, is among the brand’s most popular oil-free products. Individuals struggling with extra-dry skin have found relief using this lotion. Many adult acne sufferers experienced significantly reduced breakouts after switching to the product. Best of all, the moisturizer is quickly absorbed by the skin, leaving the face radiant and glowing.
Individuals with other skin types may want to opt for one of the equally well-rated products in the Oil-Free Moisture line. Other options include a moisturizer for combination skin, a lotion with SPF 15, and a broad-spectrum moisturizer with SPF 35. Whatever your skin challenges might be, Neutrogena’s Oil Free Moisture products are sure to address them.
- Free from oils, alcohols, dyes, and fragrances, Neutrogena’s moisturizer is one of the best water-based options for individuals with sensitive or allergy-prone skin.
- Multi-packs of the product can be purchased online, making it particularly affordable to buy.
- Though the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin lotion worked for the vast majority of customers, a few individuals felt that the product did not mesh well with their skin type.
- Some customers experienced better results with certain products in the Oil-Free Moisture line than others.
Originally designed to keep cow udders from becoming dry and chapped, Udderly Smooth’s Udder Cream and Body Cream are two of the most nourishing water-based moisturizers available. Individuals who struggle with dry skin on their face and bodies will love these fast-absorbing, ultra-effective lotions. The inclusion of oils in these water-based products make Udderly Smooth’s moisturizers non-greasy yet thick and creamy.
For a powerful and effective water-based solution to dry or irritated skin, try Udderly Smooth’s Udder and Body Cream.
- These lotions are particularly good at relieving symptoms of eczema and chapped, dehydrated winter skin.
- This two-item package is available for a very affordable price.
- Though Udderly Smooth’s products are water-based, they are not oil-free. These lotions contain smaller amounts of landolin and mineral oils.
- Customers who are pregnant or have kidney or liver issues should avoid this product, as it contains the chemical propylene glycol.
Garnier’s SkinActive Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream is designed to help the skin stay hydrated for up to 24 hours. Customers praise this water-based gel-cream for fulfilling this promise and many more. Cool and refreshing, this gel-like moisturizer adds instant hydration to the skin, making it smooth and supple. Antioxidants, fruit water extracts, and Vitamin E soothe the skin and protect it from free radical damage. Ideal for normal and combination skin, this moisturizer is perfect for refreshing the skin during the day or for adding an extra touch of moisture before bedtime.
In short, Garnier’s Moisture Rescue Gel-Cream is a simple, affordable, and extremely hydrating moisturizer for normal skin types.
- Customers rave that their skin has never felt as smooth, soft, moisturized, and luminous as it does when using the product.
- This gel-cream is affordable, and a little bit of product goes a long way, making it one of the most budget-friendly moisturizers on our list.
- Individuals with sensitive skin did not always react well to this moisturizer; alcohol is one of the top ingredients in this product. Some experienced dryness, whereas others suffered from increased breakouts.
- Packaged in a jar, this moisturizer may not stay fresh as long as lotions in pump bottles.
With an ideal consistency and an unbeatable price, Purpose’s Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion offers perhaps the best price-performance ratio of any water-based lotion. Purpose’s lotion is ideal for customers seeking a simple, no-frills product. Free of oils, fragrances, and allergens, this non-comedogenic moisturizer is ideal for soothing sensitive or allergy-prone skin. Including SPF 10, UVA, and UVB sunscreen protection, this lotion shields wearers from daily sun exposure, reducing the formation of fine lines and sun spots. Non-greasy, the moisturizer can easily be worn beneath makeup.
If a water-based sunscreen lotion is what you seek, try Purpose’s Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion.
- The Purpose Moisture Lotion offers a good level of daily SPF protection while maintaining a non-oily consistency.
- Hypoallergenic and fragrance-free, this moisturizer is suitable for all skin types, including highly sensitive skin.
- Long-term customers had used this product believing it to be SPF 15. After an FDA test, it was discovered that the moisturizer was only SPF 10, a fact that disappointed many of the product’s users.
- It can be difficult to find this product in stores, so you may need to purchase it online.
Neutrogena’s Hydro Boost Water Gel is a water-based moisturizer formulated to hydrate the skin while reducing visible signs of aging. This unique gel lotion contains hyaluronic acid, a compound that can retain up to 1,000 times its weight in water. This lotion can therefore continually rehydrate the skin throughout the day, naturally plumping the skin. Olive extract in this gel also serves to protect the skin from moisture loss. Customers also appreciate this moisturizer’s smoothing effects and compatibility with cosmetic products.
When it comes to water-based anti-aging moisturizers, Neutrogena’s Hydro Boost Water Gel is a clear winner.
- Neutrogena’s Hydro Boost Gel contains hyaluronic acid, an ingredient that replenishes the skin’s moisture while combating the signs of aging.
- Customers love the way this gel lotion glides onto the face, leaving skin soft and extremely well-hydrated.
- Some customers complained that their skin was actually drier after using this moisturizer.
- The heavy fragrance and dye used in this moisturizer make it a poor match for sensitive and allergy-prone skin types.
Few skincare products have as significant an impact on your skin as the moisturizer you use. By selecting a water-based moisturizer, you can reduce your risk of suffering from acne breakouts, skin irritation, and other adverse product reactions. If, after switching to a water-based moisturizer, you continue experiencing problems with your skin, consult your dermatologist for alternative options. With a little research, persistence, and experimentation, you can find the best moisturizer for you.