- What is hyperpigmentation?
- Top 10 Products for Hyperpigmentation
- 1. PURA D’OR Rosehip Seed Oil 100%
- 2. Niacinamide Vitamin B3 Cream Serum
- 3. Lancome Dreamtone
- 4. Olay ProX Even Skin Tone
- 5. Sweet Almond Oil
- 6. Organyc Skin Brightening Formula
- 7. Instanatural Vitamin C 25% Serum
- 8. PCA Skin Pigment Gel
- 9. Venin Royale Advanced Dark Spot Corrector
- 10. Mediderm WhiteDerm Potent Skin Fading Cream A+
Though hyperpigmentation is generally harmless, many people still find themselves hoping to get rid of dark spots from their skin. Luckily, there are a multitude of beauty products designed to work as hyperpigmentation treatment. I’ve reviewed ten of the best for those who need hyperpigmentation help, but first let’s take a look at the basics of hyperpigmentation.
What is hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation is a term to describe the condition that makes skin darken in certain areas. The cause is usually extra melanin from sun exposure. You may hear hyperpigmentation referred to as age spots.
What other names are there for hyperpigmentation-related skin conditions?
- Melasma is a darkening of the skin that occurs due to hormone changes. Melasma usually appears over large parts of the body and not just on the face.
- Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation occurs after an injury and can be a temporary or permanent condition.
- Hyperpigmentation on the hands and face may be called liver spots or lentigines.
What can you do about hyperpigmentation? Look into the following products to find out which one will work best for you.
Top 10 Products for Hyperpigmentation
The name of this product comes from the rosehip seeds used within it that contain essential fatty acids to boost healing.
- PURA D’OR boasts no additives or chemicals. This product is truly natural, containing 100% unrefined oil.
- This product can be used on the face or on the rest of the body, from head to toe. Because hyperpigmentation does not always confine itself to the face, it’s important to have a product that works all over the body.
- The smell leaves something to be desired. If you like earthy scents, it may not bother you, but the scent is distinct and requires time to grow accustomed to.
- Due to the rosehip seed oil being the primary ingredient, this product can obviously be very oily when first applied. Be aware when you get ready to put your head on your pillow that you may want to make sure the oil is dry first.
Niacinamide boasts that the inclusion of Neem oil and vitamin E offers users the ability to lessen hyperpigmentation.
- Niacinamide Vitamin B3 Cream Serum is made with natural ingredients that will help turn back the signs of aging instead of add to the aging process.
- Besides offering skin lightening, this product also contains ingredients that help lessen the redness of acne scars and reduces the fine lines and wrinkles that come with UV exposure.
- The thick texture of this cream means it’s not necessary to use a lot of it at one time. A small amount will go far.
- Unlike PURA D’OR, this cream is only for the face. If you’re suffering with hyperpigmentation anywhere else on the body, this one isn’t for you.
- The packaging of this product is problematic. Offering a dropper to remove cream from a bottle is not the best strategy. Removing this cream takes time and effort.
- The oily texture of this product makes it less than ideal for those already prone to acne breakouts.
Lancome is a popular name in the beauty industry, and this product is designed specifically to deal with dark spots and uneven skin tones.
- Over 50% of women say they can see a visible difference in hyperpigmentation in four weeks. That’s not immediate gratification, but in the world of beauty, it’s pretty close.
- Lancome Dreamtone is customized for different skin tones so each woman can choose the right product based on her complexion.
- This product is pricey. At over $100, Lancome Dreamtone is one of the pricier items on this list.
- Though effective at removing dark spots, it may cause some irritation during the process.
Oil of Olay has always fought against the idea that women should grow old gracefully. They are a top beauty company, and Olay ProX continues to help fight aging with their product specifically meant to target hyperpigmentation.
- This product not only reverses hyperpigmentation; it actually contains ingredients that prevent the condition.
- The ProX cream dries quickly so skin isn’t left with an oily shine.
- The effect of this cream is the same as a chemical peel. It’s just a bit of a slower process, but it’s also much less painful and results are impressive.
- For those with very sensitive skin, this product may cause irritation.
- This product was created by the help of dermatologists. While this can be seen as an advantage, it can also be a liability since this product does not boast a natural, chemical-free ingredient list.
Sweet almond oil has many uses and offers an ingredient list that is natural and safe.
- The inclusion of niacinaminde makes almond oil perfect for lightening hyperpigmentation.
- Sweet Almond Oil is not only a product for skin. It can be added to hair as a conditioner and to help with split ends.
- Costing less than
$xx.xx(Click Here for Current Price & More Details), this multi-purpose product is an incredible deal.
- This is an oil, so it can feel a little heavy on the skin.
- There is a slight scent that some may not enjoy.
For less than
$xx.xx (Click Here for Current Price & More Details), Organyc Skin Brightening Formula offers a product that bleaches dark spots and tells customers they should see results in 60 days. The company also plants a tree for every bottle sold to help give back to the environment.
- Oragnyc Skin Brightening Formula does not contain the ingredient hydroquinone, which has been proven effective at lightening age spots but is banned in many countries due to side effects.
- The ingredients are allergen free, which means no gluten, dairy, parabens or sulfates.
- Organyc contains alpha arbutin which not only reverses hyperpigmentation but also blocks the enzyme that helps produce melanin. This should offer prevention from future hyperpigmentation.
- The ingredients in this product may dry out skin.
- Results generally appear over time and are not immediately noticeable.
Instanatural Vitamin C Serum packs loads of nutrients in a product meant to erase dark spots and offer younger looking skin.
- This product costs less than
$xx.xx(Click Here for Current Price & More Details). That’s a steal for a product made from organic products.
- This product is made to target signs of hyperpigmentation, and the inclusion of hyaluronic acid offers not only skin lightening but also moisturizing.
- This serum can be used anywhere on the body where hyperpigmentation occurs.
- The vitamin C gives this product the smell of oranges. The smell is strong when the serum is first applied. This can be a pro or a con depending on if you like the smell of oranges.
- The thickness of this serum means it takes a while to dry. If you don’t allow time for the product to dry, orange staining may appear on pillows at night.
PCA Skin Pigment Gel guarantees fast results due in large part to the ingredients it contains. This product can be purchased over the counter, but it contains ingredients you might find in prescription beauty gels.
- The ingredients in this gel not only lighten dark spots but also helps control break outs.
- This product works quickly and results can usually be seen in a matter of days.
- The tingly feeling that occurs when applying the gel gives the user assurance that the product is doing its job.
- This product is strong. Though it can remove dark spots, it can also burn the skin and has to be used with caution. Using this gel is essentially a way of bleaching away hyperpigmentation.
- PCA Skin Pigment Gel contains hydroquinone. As mentioned before, this ingredient, while effective, is also banned in certain countries due to the harm it can cause to skin.
This product boasts 27 peptides to give users a glowing, youthful complexion.
- Venin Royale is safe for most users since it does not contain hydroquinone, gluten, parabens, fragrances, or other irritants to sensitive skin.
- There’s no smell, and this cream can be worn anywhere on the body.
- This product has been rewarded accolades for best new technology and received an Edison Award for its innovation.
- It’s not usually possible to see an immediate change with Venin Royale. Users need to have patience to find out if dark spots will eventually lighten.
- While this is a great moisturizer, it does not always deliver results. Since it is called a dark spot corrector, it’s disappointing that it seems to fall short in that department some of the time. The only way to know if it will eventually work its lightening magic is to continue purchasing and using it.
Mediderm Skin Fading Cream brags of being able to not only reduce hyperpigmentation but also freckles and liver spots.
- The cream itself is moisturizing and very comfortable on the skin. There’s no oily feeling once it is applied.
- Mediderm avoids using parabens and hydroquinone while still including ingredients that specifically target hyperpigmentation and melasma.
- The company who makes this product has been around for over 16 years. They are honest about their products needing time to work, but they’ve had time to do the research to make sure the ingredients are effective and safe.
- Break outs can be an issue while using this product. While this isn’t an issue for everyone, those with dry skin may notice skin irritation and blemishes after using Mediderm.
- This product may take months to work. If you want to see a difference in a matter of days, don’t expect that with Mediderm.
If you’re concerned about hyperpigmentation, this wide variety of products will give you a chance to erase signs of aging and sun exposure. Choose the one formulated for your skin concerns, and start getting rid of hyperpigmentation!