- What Causes Dark Spots on Face?
- Top 10 Best Products for Dark Spots on Face
- 1.) La Roche-Posay Pigmentclar Brightening Foaming Cream Cleanser for Dark Spots
- 2.) Kleem Organics Anti-Aging Vitamin C Serum
- 3.) Bio-Oil Multiuse Skincare Oil
- 4.) Neutrogena Rapid Tone Repair Night Moisturizer
- 5.) Aveeno Positively Radiant Targeted Tone Corrector
- 6.) Garnier Skin Renew Anti-Sun Damage Lotion
- 7.) Radha Beauty Retinol Moisturizer Cream
- 8.) RoC Multi Correxion 5-in-1 Restoring Night Cream
- 9.) Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector
- 10.) Garnier Dark Spot Treatment Masks Plus Intense Hydration
- In Conclusion:
Dark spots on the face and skin can be a particularly frustrating cosmetic challenge. These skin discolorations can result from acne or from sun exposure. Some individuals may also develop dark patches as a result of other skin conditions. Fortunately, many effective products have been developed to combat these spots.
Whether you’re suffering from black spots as a result of sun exposure or discolored scarring from years of acne breakouts, the products on this list are your best bet for fading these marks and improving the appearance of your skin.
What Causes Dark Spots on Face?
Before you can get rid of the dark spots on your skin, it is wise to understand the causes behind these patches of discolored skin. By identifying the condition that is causing your dark spots, you can more easily find the right dark spot remover for your face or skin.
Darkened skin spots are most frequently the result of hyperpigmentation. Patches of hyperpigmented skin tend to form in areas where the skin has been damaged. Conditions that may harm the skin and result in hyperpigmentation range from inflammation to sun exposure to acne. Over time, melanocytes, which produce the pigment melanin, become more concentrated in certain areas of the skin. The melanocytes produce more melanin when exposed to UV light, causing patches of hyperpigmentation to develop. In many individuals, sun exposure causes hyperpigmentation on the face and body. Individuals with darker skin tones have an elevated risk of developing hyperpigmentation and may benefit from regularly applying sunscreen or taking other precautions to prevent frequent sun exposure.
Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation can also cause the melanocytes to go into overdrive, leading to brownish or reddish patches. If your dark spots are the result of healed burns, acne, eczema, or other skin injuries, your hyperpigmentation may be classified as post-inflammatory.
Other conditions may also cause hyperpigmentation. Pregnancy, for example, can also cause melanin production to shift into overdrive. This condition, known as melasma, often results in dark patches on or around the lips, forehead, cheeks, and nose. Health problems affecting hormone levels may have a similar impact on the body.
Many people notice brown or black spots developing with age. Though age may appear to be the source of this problem, the true cause is usually the accumulation of sun exposure and skin damage over the course of many years. As aging skin reproduces more slowly, these “age spots” begin to accumulate and become more apparent.
Simply put, most dark spots on the skin are caused by common issues like sun exposure and acne. Before treating your skin discoloration, however, it is advisable to look at a few images of acne hyperpigmentation, melasma, and age spots. If your skin looks like these images, the following products are likely to benefit you. If, however, your skin appears to be affected by other conditions, such as rashes, sores, mole growth, or anything unidentifiable, it is best to see a doctor before proceeding with treatment. With a proper diagnosis you can find a reliable remedy for your skin condition.
Top 10 Best Products for Dark Spots on Face
Dark spot remedies vary widely in their formulations, applications, and costs. Though most products are offered in serum or cream form, there are also cleansing products, facial masks, oils, and other formulations available. Some of these products are available for under $10, while others cost $20 or more.
It can be challenging to decide on a dark spot treatment to purchase. Before you settle on a dark spot corrector to buy, do your research. Read a few positive reviews and at least one negative and neutral review to get a better picture of whether a particular product will meet your skincare needs. Sampling a number of products may also help you find the treatment that is most effective for you.
Whether you’re seeking a skin brightening cream to treat acne scars or a serum to fade age spots, these top products will certainly meet or exceed your skincare needs.
Are you looking to “wipe away” hyperpigmentation while cleaning your face? With La Roche-Posay’s Pigmentclar Brightening Cleanser, you can do just that! This refreshing facial cleanser is gentle enough for aged and sensitive skin yet manages to create powerful, lasting results. Users rave about the luxuriant foam and how it works as a powerful dark spot remover for the face, leading to bright, even-toned skin. Those who washed their faces with the product daily or twice-daily had particularly success with it. A number of users over the age of 50 also praised the cleanser and its ability to lighten spots on both the face and the body.
If you’re looking to exfoliate your way to beautiful and radiant skin, La Roche-Posay’s Pigmentclar Foaming Cleanser just might be the product for you.
- Since this product is a foaming cleanser, it can easily be paired with other dark spot products, such as lotions and facial masks.
- La Roche-Posay’s Foaming Cream Cleanser is one of the most universally-praised dark spot treatments, with 92% of customers giving the cleanser a four or five star rating.
- A small number of customers with acne-prone skin found the cleanser to be too irritating for their sensitive skin.
- Though most users had no issue with the product’s scent, a few individuals found the scent to be medicinal.
Kleem Organics Anti-Aging Vitamin C Serum is a powerful and natural brightening remedy. Composed of 20% vitamin C, this is one of the most potent dark spot treatments available. Packed with organic ingredients ranging from hyaluronic acid and vitamin E to witch hazel and dandelion extract, Kleem’s Vitamin C Serum is a great choice for customers seeking an all-natural way to remove dark patches from their skin. Many customers have seen brightening and anti-aging benefits within days of first using the serum.
For an excellent solution to dull, blotchy skin, try Kleem Organics Anti-Aging Vitamin C Serum.
- Individuals with a wide variety of skin conditions ranging from sun spots to acne scarring had success with this serum.
- Users who found the serum to be ineffective were extremely impressed with the company’s refund and return policy, stating that Kleem offered prompt and exceptionally friendly customer service solutions.
- At roughly
$xx.xx(Click Here for Current Price & More Details) for less than 2 ounces of serum, this dark spot treatment is more expensive than most.
- Due to the unstable nature of vitamin C, products containing the vitamin sometimes go bad. If your serum has a strange color or texture, you may need to exchange it for a new bottle.
Bio-Oil is most commonly known for its ability to rapidly fade scars and stretch marks. The properties that make Bio-Oil a popular scar remedy also make it a great treatment for lightening other skin discolorations on the face and body. Individuals suffering from acne scars and redness following breakouts may find that Bio-Oil reduces these marks as well. With regular application, age spots may also fade over time.
If dark spots and scars have plagued you for years, Bio-Oil is likely to give you the results you so desire.
- In addition to fading scars and stretch marks, Bio-Oil does an excellent job of lightening other dark spots on the skin, particularly those resulting from acne.
- Countless customers have witnessed Bio-Oil’s astonishing effectiveness since its debut in 2002, making it one of the most reliable dark spot treatments on the market.
- Some people disliked the oil’s scent, which they felt was too strong and heavy.
- Some online retailers sell knock-off versions of this product. Be sure to find a reliable seller or purchase the product at a local health and beauty store.
Neutrogena’s Rapid Tone Repair Night Moisturizer is a product that combines the best aspects of multiple dark spot treatments. In addition to using vitamin C to brighten the skin, this moisturizer combines retinol, hyaluronic acid, and a glucose complex to create a dark spot treatment that penetrates the skin more deeply and remains effective for hours. In addition to fading acne scars and sun spots, many customers claim that the moisturizer has reduced the number of breakouts they experience.
For brighter skin with less acne and fewer dark spots, try Neutrogena’s Rapid Tone Repair Night Moisturizer.
- Customers who struggled with breakouts from other moisturizers often did not experience such symptoms when using this Neutrogena product.
- Multiple users raved that their dark spots and scars faded by more than 50% after using this product.
- For a drugstore product, Neutrogena’s Tone Repair Moisturizer is comparatively expensive.
- The retinol in this moisturizer may irritate the skin at first. Apply the product cautiously to determine whether or not it will trigger a reaction.
Aveeno’s Positively Radiant Targeted Tone Corrector is a small but mighty spot treatment developed to combat hyperpigmentation. This oil-free treatment contains vitamin A and soy protein to reduce skin blotchiness and combat discoloration. Users of various ages and ethnicities have experienced success by applying this treatment to their dark spots on a daily basis.
Simple, practical and affordable, Aveeno’s Positively Radiant Tone Corrector is among the best budget solutions for hyperpigmentation.
- The Aveeno Tone Corrector is light and non-oily, making it ideal for individuals who struggle with oily skin or breakouts.
- At just over
$x.xxin price (Click Here for Current Price & More Details), the Aveeno Positively Radiant Targeted Tone Corrector is one of the most affordable dark spot treatments on our list.
- Some individuals may experience a burning sensation from using this product.
- Though many users saw great results using the product, others didn’t find the lotion as effective.
In addition to lightening dark spots on the skin, it is important to find a product that will prevent the formation of future spots. Garnier’s Skin Renew Anti-Sun Damage Lotion is the best product for limiting hyperpigmentation caused by sun damage and aging. This oil-free moisturizer can be applied to the face on a daily basis, working as both a lotion and a sunscreen. When applied regularly, the lotion actually prevents the sun damage that leads to dark spots.
To make dark spots a thing of the past, invest in Garnier’s Skin Renew Anti-Sun Damage Lotion.
- The Garnier Skin Renew Lotion helps prevent future dark spots from forming, making it easier to avoid hyperpigmentation from sun exposure.
- The moisturizer is super light, reducing the odds of causing breakouts. It is suitable for individuals with sensitive skin.
- Though the lotion prevents future skin damage, it will not necessarily remove current dark spots.
- Some users complained that the lotion’s fragrance was too strong for their tastes.
Though anyone can develop hyperpigmentation, dark spots often appear more frequently with age. Radha Beauty’s Retinol Moisturizer Cream is among the best dark spot correctors for adults looking to fight not only hyperpigmentation, but wrinkles as well. Users in their 60s and 70s rave that their age spots, crow’s feet, and forehead wrinkles have faded within weeks of adding this facial cream to their beauty regimen.
With natural ingredients and effective results, Radha Beauty’s Retinol Moisturizer Cream is a great choice for anyone looking for smoother skin and a more balanced complexion.
- The Radha Moisturizer Cream helped fade many customers’ dark spots more effectively than other targeted dark spot treatments.
- This retinol cream is free of harmful fragrances, parabens, dyes, and filler ingredients.
- This product, along with many retinol-based moisturizers, may irritate sensitive skin.
- The size of the product is somewhat deceiving. Some users noted that the pump on their container did not work properly.
RoC’s Multi Correxion 5-in-1 Restoring Night Cream seeks to fade dark spots while hydrating, smoothing, and firming the skin. Users praise the cream for its ability to fade hyperpigmentation while simultaneously reducing facial wrinkling. Some customers even claimed that they could reduce their use of daily moisturizers and makeup after using RoC’s night cream.
If you prefer to transform your skin at night and relax during the day, RoC’s Multi Correxion Restoring Night Cream is the right lotion for you.
- RoC’s cream offers deep, lasting hydration in the form of a light, non-oily moisturizer.
- One of the cream’s active ingredients, hexylresorcinol, shows great promise as a skin brightening agent.
- Customers with sensitive skin may want to avoid this product; it can sometimes cause the skin to become red and irritated.
- The ingredients in this cream are not nearly as natural as many of the ingredients of other products on this list.
Clinique’s Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector is a powerful and effective serum for lightening dark patches and acne scars. Customers with post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation due to acne or skin damage were especially satisfied with the product. Those with sun spots often noted that these patches of discoloration had almost completely faded from their skin.
For those who are determined to remove sun spots or acne scars from their face, Clinique’s Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector is worth its price.
- This dark spot treatment was developed by Clinique, one of the most trusted names in the skincare industry.
- Clinique’s Dark Spot Corrector is well-suited to sensitive, oily, and acne-prone skin. It is unlikely to cause breakouts.
- At over
$xx.xx(Click Here for Current Price & More Details), this is the most expensive dark spot corrector on our list.
- A few customers believed they had received an expired product. To ensure that the product is fresh and genuine, consider purchasing it from a local cosmetic shop.
If you’re looking to fight off some particularly stubborn dark spots, adding Garnier’s Dark Spot Treatment Masks to your weekly routine just might help you achieve the results you desire. Packed with vitamin C and other natural extracts, these masks help fade dark spots from sun exposure as well as from acne.
When applied three times a week, most users noticed an improvement in skin brightness and texture. Fans of facial masks are sure to enjoy Garnier’s Dark Spot Treatment Masks.
- In addition to brightening the skin, almost all users experienced softer, more hydrated skin after use.
- These masks can easily be paired with other Garnier dark spot correctors, including their sun spot hand treatment and overnight glycolic peel.
- For optimal results, customers may need to invest in multiple masks.
- These masks may be difficult to find in local stores and may need to be purchased online.
Though dark spots on your skin may have left you feeling disheartened in the past, you no longer need to resign yourself to a life of blotchy skin. Whether you prefer serums, oils, masks or moisturizers, there is a spot-fighting product out there for you. If one remedy doesn’t work, consider trying another. It often takes more than one try to find the brightening product that best suits your skin. With the right treatment and regular application, you can restore your skin to fresh, even-toned brightness.