- What Do Primers Do?
- Things To Consider Before Buying a Primer For Large Pores
- REVIEWS: Top 5 Best Primers For Large Pores
- In Conclusion:
Finding the best primer for large pores can be difficult. Today, almost every cosmetics brand has at least one pore-minimizing primer available for purchase. Some brands, like Smashbox, offer a wide variety of primer products. Ultimately, it is important to find a primer that minimizes your skin’s imperfections and works well with the foundation of your choice.
To reduce the appearance of large pores on your nose and face, try one of the following top-rated primers!
What Do Primers Do?
Many women, even makeup lovers, don’t include primer in their makeup routines. Those who aren’t using primer, however, may be missing out.
Primer is generally used as a base for face makeup, like foundation or BB cream. Primer has many benefits, including making makeup easier to apply and increasing foundation’s staying power. A high-quality primer will also mask large pores, acne scars, and even some fine lines and wrinkles. Wearing a pore-minimizer primer without full face makeup can also be a simple way to improve the appearance of large pores on the face.
Those who live in extreme climates will generally find that primer helps their makeup stay fresh-looking despite uncomfortable temperatures and humidity levels. Some brands also offer primers designed specifically for improving the durability of eye makeup.
Whether you’re a heavy makeup user or a fan of the natural look, a good primer may be of use to you. Primer is an affordable and effective way to improve the texture and appearance of your skin.
Things To Consider Before Buying a Primer For Large Pores
Before purchasing a primer, it is crucial to consider a variety of factors related to the product and your skin type. By thoroughly researching primers, you can ensure that you’ll purchase a product that will conceal your pores while enhancing the natural radiance of your skin.
Primers come in many different varieties. Oftentimes, a single brand will offer numerous primers tailored to each skin type. A primer that works well for oily skin may be overly drying for those with dry or combination skin; it is therefore important to consider whether or not a particular primer will work well with your skin.
If a primer doesn’t appear to be tailored towards a particular skin type, look for a review from a customer who has the same skin type as you. If others with mature skin, for instance, had success with the primer, it is more likely that it will work for you, too. If a particular product has excellent reviews but is not designed for your skin type, consider looking for other primers offered by the same brand. You may be able to find a similar primer that is well-reviewed and specifically designed for your skin type.
Primers work most effectively when they are paired with face makeup of a similar type. Most primers are silicone-based and therefore work best with silicone-based foundations. Some primers, however, are water-based. When these types are mixed, it may make it more difficult to blend your face makeup, resulting in a less appealing look. To increase the hold of your foundation throughout the day, we recommend pairing a silicone-based primer with a silicone-based foundation. If you regularly use a water-based foundation, however, you will probably want to select a water-based primer to match.
To check whether a product contains silicone, check the ingredients list. If one of the top ingredients includes the ending -cone, -siloxane, or -methicone, the product is likely silicone-based. If not, it is probably water-based.
In addition to catering to specific skin types, some primers address other skin problems. Some specifically address large pores on the face, whereas others focus on evening skin tone or nourishing the skin. A large number of primers address these many concerns with a single product. A primer doesn’t necessarily need to be labeled a “pore-minimizing primer” to effectively combat pore size, for instance. If, however, you have another specific skin issue, it may behoove you to seek out primers tailored to your concern.
Price and Tube Size
Like most cosmetic products, primers can vary significantly in price. Most primers come in small tubes and contain roughly one ounce of product or less. Drugstore primers, which are often available for $15 or less, are a good choice for those on a budget. Primers offered by more upscale brands generally fall within the $20-$50 price range. Be sure to consider the tube size offered by each brand as well. Some tubes may contain half an ounce of product, whereas others offer a full ounce or more. Calculate the price per ounce to find the best deal for you.
Ratings and Reviews
Don’t read just one review before you buy a primer product! It is important to really consider the experiences of others customers before you finalize your purchase. Look into the pros and cons of each primer. Make sure customers with your skin type are satisfied with the product, too. By selecting a top-rated product, you will be more likely to find a primer that satisfies your needs.
REVIEWS: Top 5 Best Primers For Large Pores
We’ve done our research to discover the very best pore-minimizing primers on the market. We particularly recommend the following primers for masking acne scars and large pores on the face.
DHC’s Velvet Skin Coat Primer is a popular, professional-grade silicone makeup primer. The transparent, gel-powder texture of this primer makes the skin look and feel silky smooth. Customers rave that their large pores are significantly masked by the DHC primer. Those with sensitive and oily skin find this primer to be particularly suitable for their skin types. Customers who had noticed makeup “sliding off” of their faces due to oily skin experienced a significant improvement upon switching to the Velvet Skin Coat primer. Those with acne scars and fine lines also saw a marked reduction in visible skin imperfections.
The DHC primer can also be applied to other areas, such as the neck and hands, to improve the texture and appearance of the skin.
For a silky-smooth solution to large pores and oily skin, try DHC’s Velvet Skin Coat.
- Customers with oily skin rave that DHC’s primer controls facial oils far better than other primers. The product holds makeup in place all day, even for those with extremely oily skin.
- The velvety-smooth texture of this primer makes it particularly comfortable to apply and wear.
- Those with dry skin may find that this primer is overly drying.
- With a moderately high price and a small tube size (0.52 ounces), this primer may not be ideal for those on tight budgets.
Smashbox is widely known for their premium cosmetic products. Naturally, the brand’s primers are much-loved by beauty gurus worldwide. The brand’s Photo Finish Foundation Primer is among the most popular primers offered by the brand. The primer’s oil-free, silicone-based formulation gives the skin a matte finish that improves the appearance and hold of face makeup. Customers praise the product’s ability to mask large pores, acne scars, and mild wrinkling without causing breakouts.
The Smashbox Photo Finish primer works best for those with oily skin. Those with dry or sensitive skin may find that the brand’s Photo Finish Hydrating Foundation Primer offers more of the nourishment their skin needs.
With Smashbox’s Photo Finish Foundation Primer, your skin will look more matte and radiant than ever before.
- This Smashbox primer creates a soft, airbrushed look, noticeably improving the appearance of foundation, concealer, and blush on the skin.
- This primer is oil-free, making it a great option for customers with oily complexions.
- Some sellers have been known to ship fake versions of this primer. Select a reliable merchant or purchase the product directly from Smashbox to ensure that you receive the genuine product.
- Smashbox’s primers cost significantly more than most drugstore brands. Bargain hunters may wish to choose another product line.
bareMinerals’ Original Prime Time Foundation Primer is perhaps the best general primer on the market. This popular silicone primer simultaneously combats uneven texture, flakiness, and excess oil, making it ideal for virtually all skin types. It also manages to make pores less visible while nourishing the skin with vitamins C and E. Customers with highly sensitive skin raved that the primer improved their skin’s appearance without causing irritation or unsightly breakouts. Those with dry and combination skin types praised the bareMinerals Prime Time Foundation Primer for hydrating the skin better than many competing products. This silky-smooth primer is even formulated without any preservatives, making it a great choice for those seeking more natural skincare options.
To soothe your skin while masking enlarged pores, choose bareMinerals’ Prime Time Foundation Primer.
- A little bit of the bareMinerals primer goes a long way; just one pump is enough to mask all facial blemishes and imperfections.
- Customers with mature skin praised this primer for its powerful anti-aging effects.
- Some experienced customers believe that certain sellers were offering fake versions of this product. Make sure you’re purchasing this primer from a reliable merchant.
- The primer’s pump design does not dispense the product particularly well. Some customers state that they would prefer a tube design.
Dermalogica’s Skinperfect Primer truly lives up to its name. With this silicone-based primer, many customers have reduced their reliance upon heavy face makeup. Skin imperfections fade away as a result of using this Dermalogica product. Customers cannot recommend this pore-minimizer primer highly enough, arguing that it’s worth every penny. Featuring SPF 30 UV protection and a formula free of artificial colors, parabens, and fragrances, this primer manages to make the skin silky-smooth without resorting to the inclusion of more harmful ingredients.
Customers also praise the long-lasting hold of the Skinperfect Primer. This product works well in spite of humid weather, stage performances, and hours of sweaty exercise.
For a durable primer that looks great on its own, choose Dermalogica’s Skinperfect Primer.
- This primer includes SPF 30 broad-spectrum UV protection. Customers can therefore use the primer without applying an additional layer of sunscreen.
- Dermalogica’s primer looks incredible even without foundation. Many customers therefore choose to use this primer with little to no face makeup.
- This primer has a tinted effect that may be visible on fair skin. Those with very light skin tones may want to choose a different primer.
- The Dermalogica primer is the most expensive product on our list.
If you’re looking for an excellent primer at a jaw-droppingly affordable price, look no further than e.l.f’s Mineral-Infused Face Primer. This budget primer is perfect for mattifying oily parts of the T-zone without drying out other parts of the face. The primer reduces the visibility of large pores on the nose and cheeks and creates a silky-smooth makeup base that rivals the effects of many more expensive primer products.
Those who struggle with skin redness and uneven skin tone will likely become fans of e.l.f.’s Mineral-Infused Primer. This primer includes subtle green undertones to neutralize skin blotchiness.
To conceal large pores and improve skin texture without breaking the bank, opt for e.l.f.’s Mineral-Infused Face Primer.
- This primer costs a mere fraction of the price of many high-end primers. Bargain-hunters will love the value of this top-rated product.
- Customers with oily and combination skin noticed dramatic improvements in skin texture and makeup durability while using this primer.
- With a bottle containing just 0.47 ounces, daily users may have to purchase this primer more than once a month.
- Some customers did not like the texture of the primer; the consistency was too greasy for their liking.
Finding the best primer for large pores ultimately depends on your skin type and the other makeup products you choose to use. Remember to choose a silicone-based primer to pair with silicone-based foundation or a water-based primer to couple with a water-based foundation. By selecting a top-rated primer that suits your skin type and matches your foundation, you’ll be able to significantly reduce the visibility of your pores while improving the overall appearance of your skin.