- How to Choose the Right Face Cleanser for Acne Prone Skin
- 10 Top Rated Best Facial Cleansers for Acne Prone Skin
- 1. Cetaphil
- 2. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash
- 3. Clean and Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser
- 4. Clearasil Daily Face Wash for Sensitive Skin
- 5. Oxy Maximum Action Advanced Face Wash
- 6. Proactiv Renewing Cleanser
- 7. Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser
- 8. Simple Moisturizing Face Wash
- 9. Burt’s Bees Natural Acne Solutions Cleanser
- 10. Clinique Acne Solutions Cleansing Foam
Acne sufferers are all too familiar with the struggle of finding a face wash that helps minimize breakouts while treating skin gently. With the wide range of products available on the market going to the store with plan in mind is a must. But how do you select a facial cleanser that will be kind to your skin AND eradicate acne?
How to Choose the Right Face Cleanser for Acne Prone Skin
1) Know Your Skin
Knowledge is the first step to winning any challenge. Using skin care products that are created with your unique skin in mind is the best first step to finding the best acne cleanser. Your skin may be dry, oily, normal, sensitive or a combination. Your skin type determines if you need to look for a certain ingredient to help prevent acne as part of your acne treatment.
So how do you determine your skin type if you are not sure? There’s a simple test you can do at home to easily see what type of skin you have.
- Gently wash your face and pat dry. Do not apply any product afterwards.
- After an hour from washing your face it will now be in its normal state and you can look for defining characteristics of your skin. Blot skin with a tissue and pay special attention to the T-Zone (your nose and forehead)
- Look at the tissue the amount of oil on it. Follow the criteria below to determine skin type.
- Normal Skin: Skin will feel smooth and there will be neither oily sheen nor dry flaking.
- Dry Skin: There will be little to no oil on the tissue. Your skin may feel tight and show evidence of flaking.
- Oily Skin: There will be a large amount of oil on the tissue. Oily skin is also associated with a sheen and having large pores.
- Combination Skin: This is one of the most common skin types and takes on attributes of all the above skin types. The T-zone will usually be oily while other areas may be dry and flaky and some will have no problem at all.
- You should also determine if your skin is sensitive or not. Sensitive skin may become red and irritated or easily break out in rashes if certain products are applied.
2) Look for Acne Fighting Ingredients
Most acne cleansers contain ingredients that minimize pimples while improving the appearance of skin. Look for products that contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid as the active ingredients. Understanding how these two work could also help you choose the best acne face wash. Benzoyl peroxide helps exfoliate skin and slough away dead cells while killing acne-causing bacteria. Salicylic acid works to clear blocked pores, reduce swelling and redness.
On that same note pay attention to what else is listed in the ingredients. If you know your skin gets irritated with a certain ingredient, don’t use it! Ignoring warnings could wreck more havoc on skin than just out-of-control acne.
3) Banish Blackheads
Blackheads are another part of acne that makes it difficult to deal with. Acne cleansers that contain salicylic acid can help with unclogging pores but you also need to clear away the dead skin cells that cause blackheads to form. A gentle exfoliating product can help with this. There are several facial cleansers that contain exfoliating beads and granules that clear away dead skin. Some that contain salicylic acid are a plus for dealing with blackheads.
4) Keep a Skincare Journal
Part of ensuring that you use the best face wash for acne means keeping some notes on what works and what doesn’t. Problematic skin likes to throw wrenches at us sometimes. One cleanser may not work for you after a while. In some cases the product being used creates rebound breakouts. Allergic reactions to benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid look a lot like a bad case of acne that won’t go away. Knowing when to stop using a cleanser or product will help you avoid it in the future as you search for the best acne face wash.
5) Controlling Acne Doesn’t End with a Face Wash
Once you have washed your face there is more you can do to keep acne at bay. Along with the array of facial cleansers available are medicated creams and gels to help curtail pimples. Knowing which products to use according to your skin type helps with selecting appropriate follow-up treatments after washing. Choose non-comedogenic (non-pore clogging) medications, moisturizers and sunscreens to protect your skin and prevent future breakouts.
6) When In Doubt Ask a Dermatologist
Sometimes acne needs to be controlled from the inside with oral medications. Topical treatments and washes can only go so far. A dermatologist will help you by determining what is possibly causing your acne, prescribing antibiotics or other oral medications and suggesting cleansers and products that they approve of. If your acne doesn’t seem to be improving after about six weeks of using over-the-counter products it’s time to schedule an appointment with the dermatologist.
10 Top Rated Best Facial Cleansers for Acne Prone Skin
Sometimes having an idea of where to start your acne cleanser search can make all the difference. There are so many choices, so where do you start? This handy top 10 guide showcases the pros and cons of ten cleansers that have helped others with acne prone skin. Hopefully they can help you, too!
Cetaphil is usually recommended by dermatologists as a gentle cleanser. They offer cleansers and soaps for all skin types as well as light moisturizers. Cetaphil is available at drugstores and other retailers.
- Formulated for all skin types.
- Gentle on skin and non-comedogenic.
- Can remove make-up and dirt without overtaxing skin.
- Formulas do not contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid.
- Can dry out skin if wrong formula is used (for example, the one for oily skin on dry skin.)
Neutrogena has been a household name in skincare for years and this oil-free acne wash proves why. The formula is perfected for acne prone skin making use of salicylic acid as the active ingredient.
- Unclogs pores and prevents future breakouts.
- Designed for use on acne prone skin.
- Is very drying on skin.
- Not suitable for those with sensitive or dry skin.
Clean and Clear makes use of “pore penetrating technology” to deposit benzoyl peroxide deep within pores so that it continues to clear your skin even after washing. This formula takes care of white and blackheads as well as deeper cystic acne.
- Contains 10% benzoyl peroxide that gets absorbed deep into pores.
- Gentle cleanser.
- Creamy formula which makes skin feel smooth.
- Not advised for dry or sensitive skin. The high concentration of benzoyl peroxide will irritate sensitive skin.
- Extremely drying.
- Can bleach hair.
This formula is great for acne prone skin and includes a moisturizer to prevent drying. The active ingredient is salicylic acid which helps clear out pores and is effective on stopping minor blemishes.
- Designed with sensitive skin in mind.
- Gentle when compared to similar products.
- Oil free.
- Contains salicylic acid so it is not advisable for people with an allergy to it.
This is another powerful formula that contains 10% benzoyl peroxide. It has been formulated for acne prone skin and is very effective at clearing up present breakouts and preventing future ones from occurring.
- A great cleanser for acne prone skin.
- Very drying.
- Can increase sensitivity to the sun, so be sure to use with a strong sunscreen.
- The high benzoyl peroxide can bleach hair and fabrics.
- Not advised for use on dry or sensitive skin types.
Proactiv is known for its 3-step acne program that includes facial cleanser, a toner and a moisturizer. Their products have been crafted by skin care experts and improve acne and the way skin looks overall.
- Cleanser contains exfoliating grains that help slough away dead skin.
- Active ingredient of benzoyl peroxide.
- Not suitable for dry or sensitive skin.
- Very drying.
- Must be ordered as part of a kit and can be just out of price range.
Aveeno is known for making gentle skin care products with natural ingredients. This foaming cleanser is for acne prone skin and is very gentle.
- Gentle on skin.
- Non-greasy and leaves your face feeling clean.
- Balances skin and improves texture.
- Contains salicylic acid.
- Not suitable as a make-up remover on its own.
Simple designs their skin care products with sensitive skin in mind using gentle and natural ingredients and avoiding irritating products. They avoid ingredients like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid and unnecessary fragrances that can irritate skin.
- Perfect cleanser for sensitive skin or those with allergies.
- Gentle and non-drying.
- Contains moisturizer and vitamins to help skin glow.
- Since this does not contain any acne-fighting ingredients those with mild to severe acne may not notice results.
Burt’s Bees is known for their natural skin care products and cosmetics and have developed a line formulated for acne sufferers. Their active ingredient is naturally derived salicylic acid from willow bark.
- Naturally sourced ingredients (99.4% natural.)
- Contains skin soothing evening primrose and beet root extracts.
- Can irritate sensitive skin.
- Not suitable for those with salicylic acid allergies.
Clinique has been a strong player in the cosmetics game for years and they have branched out into creating their own line of acne care products. You can buy a kit containing a full skincare regimen or purchase the cleanser on its own.
- A gentle cleanser that leaves skin feeling clean.
- Balances and improves skin tone.
- Runs a little on the pricey side.
- Contains salicylic acid so is not suitable for those with allergies.
Finding the best face wash for acne doesn’t have to be a challenging ordeal. Knowing just what products and ingredients to look for and which ones to avoid in the future will help a great deal. Keeping track of what works will help you clear your skin in no time and have it glowing beautifully!